IT WAS CHANDOS OAK THEN AND NOT NOTABLE
During the occupancy of the Chandos family the great oak became known as the Chandos Oak. When Dr. James Beattie saw it in 1773 it was so called, and in “Sylva Britannica,” published in 1822, an illustration of it is given, entitled the Chandos Oak. Before John Nicholl built his house, the oak, although a substantial one, was not a notable one. The circumference increased 7 feet between 1773 and 1900, but it has reached its zenith and is now on the decline.
When Minchenden was pulled down much of the material was bought by Henry Eaton, the landlord of “The Cherry Tree”, and with it he enlarged his house in Blagdens Lane. The house is still standing, and is known as “Minchenden Lodge.”
The name of Minchenden is also perpetuated in Minchenden Crescent. The Middlesex County council has appropriated the name for its secondary school at Southgate House. This causes some confusion, as many think that Minchenden was the original name of the house. This mis-appropriation may be forgiven, as Minchenden is a name well worth keeping alive in Southgate. It goes back to the 14th century, and signifies our connection with the Nuns of Clerkenwell, and with the great Chandos family.
Members of the Association grow seedlings from the Minchenden Oak and these are available from the SGA stall at local school fairs.